At this time, patrons are encouraged to checkout no more than 10 items.
Three ways to request library materials:
- Patron must call 618-281-4237
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject Line: ‘Book Request’)
- Request items using their online Library accounts.
How to Request Materials with Library Account
- Go to www.columbialibrary
- Click “My Account” or “Library Catalog”
- Login with Library Card number and 4-digit PIN
- If you do not see user-friendly search bar, click “SHARE” logo at top.
- Once you have started your search, remember to select “Columbia Public Library” as your Assigned Branch at the left, to see only the items we have.
- Once you have selected your item, click “Request It” to the right, then make sure your Pickup Library is “Columbia Public Library” before submitting.
- Patrons must call us when they are on the way.
- Patrons will need to call us when they arrive.
- Patrons’ bag of books will be placed on table outside the front door. Staff will go back into the building.
- Staff will monitor bag from inside the building.
- Patrons can then pick up bag after staff are inside.
Please call the library if you have any questions.
Bring a governmental photo ID (ex. driver’s license, state ID, military ID) as well as proof of residency (ex. tax bill, utility bill, imprinted check, voter registration card) to the circulation desk. If your governmental photo ID does not have your current address, please bring a second proof of residency. You must pay taxes to the city of Columbia in order to get a free library card. These cards expire every three years. If you are not eligible for a free card, you may purchase a non-resident card for your family. Currently the yearly fee is $88.00 — ask us about our Friends of the Library discount program!
The last 4 digits of your telephone number unless you specified otherwise when registering for your card. You will need it to create and manage your account on the online library catalog. If it does not work, please call us so we can reset it to the PIN of your choosing.
Items from different libraries have different checkout periods, but if you check out items belonging to Columbia Public Library, this is how long you may keep them:
- Books and Audiobooks: 2 weeks
- TV Shows: 2 weeks
- Children’s movies: 2 weeks
- Adult films, Music, and Magazines: 1 week
If you know you won’t be able to return things by their due date, you may be able to renew the items up to two times. This is dependent on whether someone is waiting for the item and the rules of the library that owns the item. Renewals are never guaranteed. You can either renew your items in person, from the online catalog, or by calling us during open hours at 618-281-4237 ext. 0.
Items from different libraries may have different late fees. DVDs that belong to the Columbia Public Library are .50 per day when late, and books and other items are .20 per day.
To use the library (including, but not limited to checking out items and using computers), patrons must have less than $5.00 in fines or fees on their library account.
If there are extenuating circumstances (ex. theft, unexpected hospitalization), please contact the Library Director.