Internet Usage Policy
It is the Library’s mission to make available a wide variety of media for educational, informational and leisure-time pursuits. Toward this end, the Library offers Internet access. The use of the Library’s Internet is a privilege, not a right, and inappropriate use will result in cancellation of those privileges.
INTERNET CONTENT WARNING: The majority of the information and data obtained on the Internet is generated outside the library. It is therefore impossible for the library to control, restrict or prevent access to controversial materials. Each parent/guardian is responsible for conveying the standards that their child or ward should follow. By giving permission to use the Internet, a parent/guardian accepts full responsibility for their minor’s actions and acknowledges that there is information on the network they may not otherwise want available to their minor.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Internet use is limited to two hours
- Users must be age 13 or older. Children under 13 MUST be accompanied by an adult Internet user who has signed an Internet Agreement Form.
- Children age 13-18 must have a consent form on file that is signed by a parent or guardian in order to use the Internet.
- No reservations are taken.
- Users must sign up for a computer at the checkout desk and show either a valid SHARE library card or valid state- or federal-issued ID
- Users not currently registered with a SHARE library must sign an Internet Agreement Form, consenting to abide by the Library’s Internet Policy
- Users with outstanding fines over $5.00 from any SHARE library will not be granted computer use.
- You may print files and information at the going rate of $0.25 per page for black-and-white print and $0.50 for color print.
- Internet usage is limited to one person per terminal. Library staff will permit exceptions on a case-by-case basis.
UNACCEPTABLE INTERNET USE
- Using the network for any illegal activity, including violation of federal copyright law or other contracts, or transmitting any material in violation of any U.S. or State regulation.
- Unauthorized downloading (or loading) of software, regardless of whether it is copyrighted or free of virus.
- Gaining unauthorized access to resources or entities.
- Invading the privacy of individuals.
- Using another user’s account or password.
- Posting material authorized or created by another without his/her consent.
- Deliberately accessing, submitting, posting, publishing, or displaying any defamatory, abusive, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, racially offensive, harassing or illegal material. The offensiveness of material is subject to the perception of Library staff.
- Using the network while access privileges are suspended or revoked.
- The Columbia Public Library makes no warranties of any kind, whether expressed or implied for the service it is providing.
- The Library is not responsible for any damages the user suffers.
- The Library is not responsible for the accuracy or quality of information obtained on the network.
- Library staff is not responsible for in-depth instruction or technical assistance on the Internet terminals, other than basic hardware/software instructions.
- The Library assumes no responsibility for any unauthorized charges or fees.
- Future Internet privileges may be modified and/or suspended in their entirety at the discretion of the Library.
Violations of these policies may result in the loss of privileges and/or appropriate legal action. Furthermore, the user agrees to indemnify the Library for any losses, costs or damages, including reasonable attorney fees, incurred by the Library relating to, or arising out of any violations of these policies.
Minor Internet Waiver Form (Children under age 18)
Internet Usage Policy – Passed 09/09/97, Revised 05/01/13